Reading With Yun! - 03122020



There are spoilers below! There are spoilers below! There are spoilers below!


The Protagonists Are Murdered By Me





There are spoilers below! There are spoilers below! There are spoilers below!



Recap from the last episode 01122020:

I started this novel because I felt that this MC would be cool to follow. I like characters who are strong-willed, who would own up to themselves (direct in their goals and desires)... I don't really like excuses. 

In novels/stories/dramas/plays, I'm more welcoming of crime and sin derived from selfishness. For me, they're all entertainment. And like all art forms, I accept that they are prone to exaggeration and dramatization. This reason is the main reason why I love stories. 

Because one can immerse themselves in purer forms various emotions, thoughts, perspectives...

This desire for "purity" is directly related to my taste of MCs and characters, as mentioned in the previous episode.

And... It's because of this "purity" that I disdain what I'm read so far about the novel at hand. 

One can say this MC is very human... Or at least, that 'one' is me, I find this MC very human. But there are various levels in human society, an undeniable fact. Rather than wealth, power or birth, I prefer to rank people by their understanding of themselves - their actions, their desires - why they did what they did... To me, this understanding is a strength. So excuses... are weak.




Continuing from the last episode...

I ended up only managing to last up until finishing chapter 11, which was due to several factors, I suppose…

  1. The novel was written from the first-person point of view… And I didn’t enjoy“listening” to the MC’s thoughts as he tried to excuse himself from his actions…

In between chapters 5-10… I was doing okay, started to acclimatize to the MC as a person, and he seemed to have calmed down from all the previous “bad news” he had been living with... but then he monologues this:



I felt very confused where he was coming from. He, again, sounded very bitter about society. Which, again, reminded me of the question the system used to lure him in:

"If you could hunt down with your own hands, the heroes who made you enter the path of a loser and take their abilities... Would you do it?"

So again, I felt a barrier when attempting to immerse myself. In a world that actually had a strength ranking system... People's ranks are independent and are attributed to luck and fate, which aren't typically controllable. But even if it was, then it's part of their strength, whoever that can control it.

If you had the power, I don't believe that you won't wrap yourself in luck. No one would reasonably give it up. 

But yes, that monologue...

Were my expectations too high? I just wanted an MC who wouldn't lament the injustice of fate...? Besides, he's that selfish person too, eating away at other people's luck.




And then, of course, his own value was brushed up, recounting how he helped with the debut of quite a few strong hunters, how resourceful and knowledgeable he was about hunting because he would pay more attention to these little things that strong hunters could power through…

But, literally, isn’t that how anyone is when working? Once you’re hired, you figure out and do whatever needed to be done so you can stay employed!

If you’re really that enthusiastic about the field, at 15 years, go work at the association?! But no~ he doesn’t like that place for some reason… as mentioned in the first chapter.

I’m sure there’s a story there, that’s a pretty large plot hole that seemed to have been dug on purpose… but if it was that big of a deal… why are you still hunting?

I guess one could comment that a lot of people work at the company they hated. And I’ll accept that. My sentiments for him won’t change though…




Then finally, for Celeste’s debut, there was a dungeon mutation because there was a new protagonist about to be born… well, specifically, I think the system said that two protagonists were about to cross paths? Collide? So he needed to eliminate the new protagonist, who happened to be debuting.

From various hints, it was implied that this new protagonist became a super-powered human due to either drug or experimentation usage… oh! And this new recruit is part of the guild that kicked the MC out!!





Ah… first-person point of view novels.

So he decides to hunt the newbie, scheming, analyzing, calculating…

I have no problem with this sort of traits/actions… but like… just admit why you’re doing it? Stop making up excuses?


So... This novel is obviously biased?!


Taking this with a whole tablespoon of salt! Just like a certain QT, where none of the described in the novel plots were reliable! Because a first-person MC would always try to reflect themselves better?!! 


Well, I firmly believe it’s not always… I know… Or at least not as obvious...


Anyway, so I stopped reading after finishing chapter 11… 


Onto the next novel~ 

Need to find something to cheer myself up…




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 18 - Cohabitation

Chapter 22 - A Whole Suitcase...

Chapter 20 - Is It Too Late To Go Back On His Words (2)